Saturday, January 31, 2009

School's Out

Superbowl ...for the Super Bowl! I went to school in western PA and absolutely loved it there. During my freshman year, I was astonished to hear that local kids got a day off of school for the first day of deer season! :) Now, I read this from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

City schools to have 2-hour delay day after Super Bowl

Thursday, January 29, 2009

The Pittsburgh Public Schools will operate on a two-hour delay Monday because of the Super Bowl, Superintendent Mark Roosevelt said today.

Noting that Sunday's big game means a "late night," Mr. Roosevelt said the delay should cut down on student and staff absenteeism.

He said the district operated on a two-hour delay the day after the Steelers won the Super Bowl three years ago.

I love it! (Although I'm sure my mom and others think this is crazy!!) At least Pittsburgh realizes that students and staff will likely have a late night, win or lose! And one of the reasons I love homeschooling is the flexibility that our schedule gives us. We choose not to have schools on birthdays (yay!) but we do have school on other days that most schools do not (Labor Day, MLK Day, etc.). And we never have school delays due to weather, but sometimes due to doctor's appointments, late nights the night before, etc!

No comments: