Friday, August 28, 2009

Quack, Quack!

We had another good week of school with a fun field trip in the middle of our week! One of the things we most like about homeschooling is the flexibility it gives. We can take field trips almost any time, to nearly anywhere!

This week, we headed to Culver Duck Farm about 90 minutes away. Since this put us in the heart of Amish country, we made a day of it! We stopped at a cheese factory to see how cheese was made (and try many samples!), followed by lunch and shopping at Das Essenhaus (including their famous bakery!).

By far the best part of the day, however, was touring the duck farm. There are only seven duck farms in the U.S., and Culver is the second largest. We learned about how they receive their eggs, clean them, incubate them, hatch the ducks, and then raise them for their meat. Somehow our tour ended at the part just before they use them for their meat! :)


The eggs that are orange (under bright light) are eggs that for whatever reason, the embryo never developed.




The eggs stay in the incubator for 25 days . . .




After hatching . . . (everyone say "awwwww!")



We were able to hold ducks that had just hatched that day, too! The kids all got to hold one, and the ducks were so soft and warm. Enjoy the pictures from our tour!


And finally, they grow into these after just 5 weeks or so! Do you know how to tell the males and females apart? Females actually "quack," while the males do not! Who knew??

1 comment:

Edie J. Mohn "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."Psalm 46:1. said...

I am a new blogger. Just started. I also Homeschool. I love your blog. It is everything I want mine to be. I love the Lord and am so excited to see another women on here like me. I started blogging as a joke with my husband. We really like football and it is kinda a funny thing with my husband. So I was just kinda goofing off with the blog but I am so encouraged to see yours. What homeschool material do you use? We use Abeka. My son is starting the second grade and I have a brand new 18 week old baby as well. Anyways, I just wanted to let you know that your love for the Lord and your family is an encouragment to a God fearing, wife and mother accross the country.